creative classrooms – our approach
A Creative Classroom is a place where everyone can flourish and grow
Creative Classrooms is an approach that draws on 30 years’ experience of delivering creative activity in partnership with schools. Our professional artists include visual artists, musicians, dancers, film-makers, performance artists and drama practitioners.
Currently we are focusing on a drama based approach:
Drama practitioners deliver a whole-school approach in primary schools. Using narrative, drama techniques and a relatable cast of characters as a means of investigating stories, children influence action to explore behaviours, overcome obstacles and develop alternative endings.
Artists co-design and devise with teachers and teaching assistants to ensure whole school commitment to the Creative Classrooms approach. Children lead a deep dive into their own personal learning journey; improving emotional literacy in order to reflect on behaviour and language, improve wellbeing and progress positively long term.
A Creative Classroom is a place where:
- Everyone can flourish and grow in the direction they choose
- Children understand their own behaviours and needs in order improve their physical and mental well-being
- Children develop key life skills, such as decision making, emotional literacy and effective communication
- Children understand resilience and empathy by processing their own behaviours
- Children can identify their own special skill and experience success
- Children influence action, overcome obstacles and create alternative endings to stories
- Children share their learning with parents and guardians so they are engaged in the process
- Children lead the way into a deep dive of their own personal journey
- Teachers learn a series of drama techniques to embed within the creative classroom approach. They will have a take-away model and techniques that they can use independently of the artist
- Teachers co-design the programme with artists to ensure a whole school commitment to the approach
- Teachers continue to deliver and embed creative classrooms beyond the life of the project
- Schools share the learning with partner schools